Thursday, June 27, 2013

Finsbury Park

For my internship I worked for an American Football team that was based in Finsbury Park. Finsbury Park is in North London and is extremely different than the Chelsea area where we are staying. It grew up around an important railway interchange at the junction of the London Boroughs of Islington, Haringey and Hackney. It is not to be confused with Finsbury, which is 3.3 miles (5.3 km) farther south in the London Borough of Islington, although in some local contexts the name is shortened in this way. What I experienced when working in North London was how people respond to you when you say your from Chelsea or staying in Chelsea. When I first met the team they asked me where I was staying and without really thinking I said Chelsea. Immediately they were saying how posh I was and asking how much money my parents give me a week. It took a while for me to explain and tell them I was placed there not that I wanted to live there. This really showed me how important pride in place was. The players who were from North London just kept saying how amazing and better the North was from the South. It was so interesting to hear that and it just showed how important they felt their home place was to them. And when I would discuss this with the people in Chelsea they would just say that they all were bums that didn't know what they were talking about. This really showed me how different each place was and how important their place was to them.


Having this dicussion it also showed me how important family was to all of them. When I told them I lived in Chelsea they started to talk about my family and if I was wealthly. I wasnt even from Chelsea and I felt like I was being offended and needed to stick up for my family and what they stood for. When someone talks about your family you immediately want to strike back and defend them. It was interesting to see someone come at a family member like that when you just met them.


No comments:

Post a Comment